Gumdale State School is an Independent Public School. We are a member of an elite group of Foundation Government schools which will be administrated by a School Council.
The School Council monitors the school's strategic direction, which includes:
- approving plans and policies of the school of a strategic nature and other documents
- affecting strategic matters, including the annual estimate of revenue and expenditure for the school
- monitoring the implementation of plans, policies and other documents
- advising the school's Principal about strategic matters.
Download Constitution Here
The Council must perform its functions in a way that achieves the best learning outcomes for the school's students.
The Council may only perform its functions in relation to the school for which it is established. The Council is not part of the Department of Education and Training, is not a body corporate and does not have a separate legal identity.
The Council may not:
- interfere with the management by the school's Executive Principal of the day-to-day operations of the school and its curriculum; or
- make operational decisions about the use of teaching or learning resources at the school; or
- make decisions about the individual teaching style used, or to be used, at the school; or
- make a decision that is contrary to law or a written policy of the department; or
- have control of funds; or
- enter into contracts; or
- acquire, hold, dispose of or deal with property; or
- sue or be sued.
Minutes of previous School Council meetings can be viewed here.
The Council consists of staff, parent and community representatives. The Principal and the Parent and Citizens Association President are automatic members of the Council.
The elected members of the Council are:
|Phil Savill||Principal||Official Member|
|Steve Madsen||P&C President||Official Member|
|Shonel Balsillie||Parent Member||Chairperson / Parent Representative|
|Troy Thomson||Past P&C President||Community Representative|
|Marissa Bowen||Staff Member||Secretary / Staff Representative|
|Bridget Kinch||Parent Member||Parent Representative|
|Shaunesy Pegg||Community Member||Community Representative|
|John Ryan||Community Member||Community Representative|
|Ben Dolling||Community Member||Community Representative|
|Shane Fitzgerald||Community Member||Community Representative|
|Janet McBeth||Staff Member||Staff Representative / Past Chairperson|
|Sonia Sheridan||Staff Member||Staff Representative|
|Claire Fenwick||Staff Member||Staff Representative|
|Amy Swart||Staff Member||Staff Representative|
Gumdale State School became an Independent Public School in 2016. Gumdale has a tradition of academic excellence, a dynamic curriculum, innovative learning, outstanding NAPLAN results, exceptional music & sporting programs and a high level of community engagement.
The Gumdale State School Council will play a key role in the monitoring of the strategic future direction of the school. As key decision makers for the school, council members will set the direction, in collaboration with the Principal to ensure the pathway to achieving success is clearly articulated and understood by the community.
Gumdale State School encourages all students to strive for personal excellence and be “always our best” in an inclusive environment where all members of our school community are welcomed.